Whiskey can be produced in different countries and regions, and can also be made from various ingredients.
The mash that is fermented to make whiskey can contain varying proportions of barley, corn, rye or wheat.
Types of Whiskey
Generally, whiskey is classified by where it is made. The main types are American, Irish, Canadian, Japanese and Scotch.
Within each country, there are main grains that are used to produce the whiskeys. American whiskey uses mostly corn, but you can find malted barley, rye or wheat whiskeys as well. Canadian whisky uses rye as the main grain. Irish whiskey uses mostly malted barley as well as mixed grain. Japanese and Scotch whiskies use both malted barley and mixed grain. Proximo produces American, Irish and Canadian whiskeys, so we will look at these in more detail.
Whiskey vs. Whisky — the spelling depends on the country of origin. American and Irish are spelled ‘whiskey’ while Canadian, Japanese and Scotch are spelled ‘whisky’.
American Whiskey Types
Malt Whiskey — made from at least 51% malted barley, and must be distilled to a maximum of 80% ABV or minimum 160 proof. Aged in new or used oak barrels, and barreled at a maximum 62.5% ABV. Stranahan’s produces a variety of single malt whiskeys.
Bourbon — must be produced in the U.S., made from at least 51% corn, distilled to no more than 80% ABV (160 Proof) and aged in new charred oak barrels. Black Dirt and Wolf Moon are bourbons. TINCUP is a high-rye bourbon blended with a small amount of Colorado single malt.
Corn Whiskey — made from at least 80% corn (a much higher percentage of corn than in bourbon). Corn whiskey does not have to be aged, but when aged it must be in uncharred or used oak barrels. Old Camp is a blended whiskey.
Rye Whiskey — made from a minimum of 51% rye, it is distilled to no more than 80% ABV (160 proof) and aged in charred new oak barrels. TINCUP and Black Dirt both offer Rye whiskeys.
Irish Whiskey Types
Single Malt whiskey — made from the mash of one malted grain and from one distillery only. Bushmills offers 3 single malt whiskeys. The Sexton is also a single malt.
Blended Whiskey — a mixture of different types of whiskey. These can be made from adding grain whiskey to single malt or single pot still whiskey, or both. Most Irish whiskeys on the market are blended. Bushmills offers 3 blended whiskeys. Proper No.12 is a blended whiskey.
Canadian whiskies use rye as the main grain and have a distinctive taste, aroma and character. Pendleton offers a rye whisky.
Stranahan’s represents 100% Colorado spirit and is the largest selling American single malt brand. All handcrafted from grain to bottle in Denver, it is Stranahan’s® philosophy to put their fingerprints on every part of the process. The whiskeys are crafted with 4 simple ingredients – 100% malted barley, yeast, Rocky Mountain water and time in the barrel. Stranahan’s® offers Original, Sherry Cask, Blue Peak, Mountain Angel 10-year, Single Barrel varieties, and on one day a year, Snowflake. (47% ABV – 94 proof)
- Stranahan’s® Original
- One-of-a-kind flavor profile that ranges from buttery warm to malty butterscotch or oaky maple. Its finish is warming with hints of cayenne and rich tobacco.
- Stranahan’s® Sherry Cask
- Finished in Oloroso-sherry casks, its flavor is of honey, Montmorency cherries, black currant and fig, with nutty brine and walnut characteristics.
- Stranahan's® Blue Peak
- Named for the 13-thousand-foot peak in Aspen, this single malt boasts a creamy butterscotch, brown sugar, baked apples flavor with notes of cayenne and toasted oak.
- Stranahan's® Mountain Angel 10-Year
- Due to Denver’s high altitude and the usage of new American charred oak barrels, Mountain Angel had a unique angel’s share loss that allowed Stranahan’s to achieve a 10-Year-Old Single Malt with a depth of flavors and aromas comparable to a Scotch Whisky more than twice its age.
The Perfect Serve
Best enjoyed neat, with a few splashes of water or with ice.
TINCUP® was made in honor of Colorado’s first whiskey drinkers and the tin cups from which they drank. Inspired by the mountains, TINCUP® is a blend of two great American whiskeys; “High-rye” bourbon, distilled and aged in Indiana, is blended with a small amount of rare Colorado single malt whiskey and then cut with Rocky Mountain water. TINCUP® offers bourbon-styled Original, Straight Rye and TINCUP® 10 Whiskey. (42% ABV – 84 proof)
- TINCUP 10
- Sweet pepper, leather, and raisins. Caramel and biscuits finish.
- TINCUP Original
- Rye spice, cinnamon, caramel. Rye spice with a clean finish.
- TINCUP Rye
- Bold yet smooth. Lingering finish plus a caramel and silky, tannic mouthfeel.
The Perfect Serve
Serve neat, on the rocks, or in an occasional whiskey cocktail.
About Old Camp®
Old Camp® was launched with Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard of Florida Georgia Line, one of the biggest acts in country music. The brand offers the 1st and only peach pecan whiskey in the market, blended using American whiskey. Old Camp® is made to kick-start the party with country music or in the great outdoors. The brand makes highly versatile, highly mixable whiskey. (35% ABV – 70 proof)
- Old Camp Peach Pecan
- Smooth, nutty caramel with a spiced peach finish.
About Black Dirt®
Black Dirt® is an award-winning brand based in Black Dirt, New York state. The micro-distillery was co-founded by Jason Grizzanti and Jeremy Kidde, who have accumulated numerous awards for brandies and liqueurs over the past 10 years. The Black Dirt region also provides fresh ingredients used in crafting the spirits like corn, with apples and rye sourced within the state of New York. Black Dirt® offers a Bourbon, Straight Rye Whiskey, Apple Jack Brandy and a Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey.
- Black Dirt® Bourbon
- Corn, toffee and chocolate, with a light oak tannin finish. Vanilla, caramel and spiced finish.
About Wolf Moon™
Wolf Moon™ Bourbon is distilled from robust Midwestern grain and aged for 4 years in new white oak American barrels with a #4 char. Consumers believe that drinking bourbon and enjoying country music are uniquely classic American experiences. Wolf Moon™ merges these two experiences like no other brand in the market by combining a high quality bourbon and iconic country legends Jason Aldean and Florida Georgia Line.
- Wolf Moon™ Bourbon
- Classic bourbon. Bold oak with hints of vanilla. Smooth, clean finish.
The Perfect Serve
Best enjoyed on the rocks, straight, or as a shot.
Bushmills® Blended and Single Malt whiskeys are steeped in 400-year-old tradition. Bushmills® triple-distills its multiple-award-winning whiskey and uses distinct cask-aging and finishing. Bushmills® offers Original, Black Bush® and Red Bush® whiskeys, which are high single malt, blended whiskeys with unique character. Bushmills® also carries malts which consist of 100% malted barley, triple-distilled in Irish copper pots, and then aged on the north coast of Ireland. Its 100% single malt whiskeys are aged 10, 16 and 21 years for unmatched aroma, complexity and smoothness. (40% ABV – 80 proof)
- Bushmills® Original
- Gently warming, mouth-coating texture with a touch of honey sweetness. Crisp, fresh finish with a hint of spice.
- Bushmills® Black Bush
- Soft, silky texture with a nutty character. Lingering sweetness. Remarkable balance between the power from sherry-seasoned casks and the smoothness of the spirit.
- Bushmills® Red Bush
- Bold and complex, with hints of butterscotch, toffee, spiced pear and rich vanilla. Smooth and approachable finish.
- Bushmills® 10-Year
- Soft and velvety, with flavors of vanilla bean, mocha, dried apricot and toasty oak. Crisp, clean and extremely long finish, with subtle notes of the oak and dried fruits.
- Bushmills® 16-Year
- Full-bodied and concentrated, layered with flavors of dried figs, toasted nuts, honey, vanilla bean and toasty oak. Rich and luxurious finish, with orange marmalade and milk chocolate.
- Bushmills® 21-Year
- Luxuriously soft. Layered with flavors of dried apricots, fig, toffee, honey, vanilla bean and toasted oak. Clean, but generously long finish, with flavors of raisins and vanilla.
The Perfect Serve
Best enjoyed over ice or in a classic cocktail.
About The Sexton™
Crafted by Alex Thomas, one of the few female master blenders in the industry, The Sexton™ is made from 100% Irish malted barley and triple distilled for smoothness in copper pot stills. The whiskey is aged to perfection in former Oloroso sherry casks, sourced from Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. A whiskey for when the details matter.
- The Sexton™
- Clean and mellow honey malt, then the taste complexity reveals itself — rich dried fruit, spices, nuts and sweet oils. Pleasant gentle wood finish with honey sweetness fading slowly.
Proper No. Twelve™
About Proper No. Twelve™
Proper No. Twelve™ was founded by Conor McGregor, modern-day Irish legend born and raised in Dublin’s District 12. Conor, 2017’s most Googled Athlete, is the ideal ambassador to today’s generation of Irish whiskey drinkers. The whiskey embodies a spirit of brotherhood, loyalty and hard work, so for every bottle sold, a donation is made to local first responders worldwide. The spirit is a triple-distilled blend of fine grain and single malt that is bourbon-barrel-aged. (40% ABV – 80 proof)
- Proper No. Twelve™
- Smooth and approachable with vanilla, honey and toasted wood. Warming finish with creamy toffee notes.
The Perfect Serve
Best enjoyed with ginger ale or on the rocks.
Pendleton® was created to celebrate the spirit of American cowboys, a heritage of living boldly, drinking well, and tasting the moment. Pendleton® is the official spirit of ProRodeo and the official whisky of the PBR velocity tour. Pendleton® crafts ultra-premium whiskies distilled in Canada from the finest northern grains and cut with glacier-fed water from Mt. Hood, Oregon’s highest peak. The brand offers Original, Midnight, 1910 Rye and Directors’ Reserve varieties. (40% ABV – 80 proof)
- Pendleton® Original
- Warm fall fruits and honey balanced with a hint of spice. Hints of mint, cayenne, oak and leather finish.
- Pendleton® Midnight
- Full, well-balanced oak is paired with hints of coffee cake, nuts, caramelized bananas and candied figs. A full-bodied and satiating finish.
- Pendleton® 1910
- Muted tropical notes, apples and dried cherries. Nutty toffee undertones. A medium dry finish with lingering tart cherry.
- Pendleton® Directors’ Reserve
- A full-bodied and satiating flavor with a lingering smolder of spices, pecans and walnuts. A long, mature and smooth finish.
The Perfect Serve
Best served on the rocks. It will also mix well with ginger ale and pineapple juice, but stands on its own neat or with water.